Relax and take a deep breath. Clear your mind. Reflect quietly on your illness. Feel into it and ask yourself what gifts are hidden underneath it.
Take some time to reflect upon what the main gifts might be. If nothing comes to you, set your intention for the answer to become clear in your dreams or to somehow show itself metaphorically during the day.
If you keep your intention on this, and really want it, then it will be revealed to you. Examine how your illness is a defense and a distraction from receiving these gifts.
Ask yourself the following questions using your intuition, trusting the first answer that pops into your head:
- What is the main gift that your illness is meant to defend against ?
- Why have you been afraid of this gift ?
- Imagine yourself energetically embracing and embodying this gift.
- Who needs this gift from you?
- As this person comes to your mind, feel yourself sharing this gift with them from your heart to their heart.
Repeat this with each gift that comes into your mind. Giving the gifts that your illness is hiding will reinforce your awareness of your gifts. As your need for the illness as a defense disappears, so will the illness, and you will be free.
Gifts 2 - More Information
From 'Healing the Body Through Mind and Metaphor'
© Chuck Spezzano and Janie Ticehurst 2005
Return to Metaphor A to Z